- National Human Trafficking Resource Center (NHTRC)
- National Human Trafficking Hotline
- U.S. Department of Health, Administration for Children and Families, Office on Trafficking in Persons
- The Recovery Village - for when illegal drugs and human trafficking happen together
Resources for Youth
- Love Never Fails: For at-risk and involved youth
- S.H.A.D.E Project: Empowers survivors
- Shared Hope International
Resources for Immigrants - Know Your Rights in California
United States Citizenship and Immigration Services
(USCIS) offers resources for victims of human trafficking and other crimes. Visa U, Visa T, VAWA
Posibles recursos migratorios
(USCIS) ofrece recursos para las víctimas de trata de personas y otros crímenes. Visa U, Visa T, VAWA
The 'Blue Campaign' from the Department of Homeland Security [DHS] clip gives the official definition of human trafficking, tells us what the US is doing to detect, protect, investigate and bring justice through department-wide coordination and training, and by encouraging community members to become involved.
Demand fuels the market for commercial sex. The anti-trafficking organization, Shared Hope International, takes demand seriously. Working to change the atmosphere of 'tolerance' and 'entitlement' that allows demand to prosper, this video defines Domestic Minor Sex Trafficking, clarifies the buyer's role in this crime and what would deter them. Law enforcement offers experience and knowledge to fight demand.
Galvanized by what almost happened to her, 18-year old Brianna speaks to her local news station shortly after her rescue from a would-be sex trafficker. Joined here by her parents, they explain how lack of knowledge about how traffickers work put Brianna at risk . This video shows how it could happen to teens right here. Age 12+
Chosen is the story of two girls caught in the lies of sex traffickers. Brianna's first contact was in the restaurant where she worked; Lacy was invited to a neighborhood party; both had been targeted for recruitment long before any contact was made. Traffickers are experts at luring children into their nets through manipulation, isolation, false promises and fear. Chosen also teaches how to prevent this from happening to you, your friends, your daughters, your sons. The full length version is one of the best ways to protect and save children from trafficking. Age 12+
About human trafficking, internationally and throughout US. It describes recruitment techniques, physical and psychological manipulation, and features survivor stories. Information includes the Rescue and Restore program, and eligible benefits and services for survivors. It takes you inside the Polaris NHTRC hotline center showing this modern day 'underground railroad' fighting against modern day slavery.
International Day for the Abolition of Slavery
International Labour Organization (ILO)
There are 21 million women, men and children laboring in slavery throughout the world today. ILO calls for prevention, protection and access to justice to end human trafficking and its root causes.
Documents, Publications and Websites
- Marin County Civil Grand Jury Report, “Marin’s Hidden Human Sex Trafficking Challenge: It’s Happening in Our Backyard.” June, 2016
- Marin Law Uniform Law Enforcement Protocol for Human Trafficking, 2015
- Law Enforcement and Social Service Responses to Human Trafficking in Marin County, Emily Dominique Sims, MA Thesis, Sonoma State University 2012
- “Human Trafficking Into and within the United States”, Heather Clausen, et al, 2009
- “Trafficked Teen Girls Describe Life in the Game”, NPR, 2010
- “Estimating the Size and Structure of the Underground Commercial Sex Economy in Eight Major US Cities”, Meredith Dank, et al, March, 2014.
- Technology and Human Trafficking, USC University of Southern California
- "Report on the Use of Technology to Recruit, Groom, and Sell Domestic Minor Sex Trafficking Victims”, Thorn, 2015
- Look Beneath The Surface is a national campaign offering multi-language posters and resources, including signs of trafficking: http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/orr/resource/download-campaign-posters-and-brochures
- Trafficking in Persons: Global Patterns-UNODC report
- International Labour Organization: Special Action Programme to combat Forced Labour (SAP-FL)
- The Next Years in the Fight Against Human Trafficking: Attacking the Problem with the Right Tools: Hearing before the Committee on Foreign Relations, United States Senate, July 17, 2012
- California State Attorney General’s Report on Human Trafficking
- Shared Hope International: Archives from 2015 and earlier